Title: Capacity Development Specialist
Job ID: 7508
Practice Area – Job Family: Democratic Governance
Vacancy End Date: (Midnight New York, USA) 15/01/2017
Duty Station: Lilongwe, Malawi
Education & Work Experience
I-Master’s Level Degree – 7 year(s) experience
Vacancy Type: FTA International
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The National Registration Bureau (NRB) of Malawi is legally mandated to implement and maintain a National Registration and Identification System (NRIS) to register and issue identity cards to all citizens 16 years of age and older. UNDP has provided preparatory technical assistance to the NRB in the elaboration of a NRIS Concept of Operations, the design and development of critical software and operational procedures, and support to a successful Proof of Concept exercise conducted in early August, 2016. A Project for NRIS has been designed and negotiated with Government and Development Partners around the Concept of Operations. The Concept of Operations foresees UNDP directly implementing the registration and issuing of a biometrically-secure identity smart card to approximately 9 million citizens in 2017, and the establishment of a national registry to process and store individuals’ records in a central database. Thereafter, the system is to transition to a continuous registration system that will be progressively transferred to NRB in the course of 2018 to annually register an expected half-a-million new registrants as well as updating existing registrants’ information. It is expected that with institutional and capacity development as an integral component of the Project, NRB will be positioned to independently administer, manage and operate the NRIS from 2019 onward.
The NRIS Project is expected to deliver potentially transformative benefits for governance in Malawi, redressing fundamental obstacles in satisfying the right to identity and to progress the ambition of Sustainable Development Goal 16.9, to ensure legal identity for all. A whole of government approach towards the adoption of use of the system is pivotal to both maximize the benefits of the system and to achieve these goals, as well as a return on investment. The NRIS Project is designed around two principal phases: direct implementation of the mass registration exercise in 2017 with preparatory institutional and capacity development; and, a transitional process to fully capacitate and transfer the management and administration of a continuous registration process to the NRB in the course of 2018. Integral to delivering on these operational goals will be a close partnership with NRB, engagement with a broad spectrum of Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs) on the adoption of the technology and modeling of their business processes, engagement with civil society and other stakeholders, the UN Country Team, and a close partnership with donors engaged in the Project and contributing to the Basket Fund.
Under the supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA), the Capacity Development Specialist is responsible for the design, coordination and execution of comprehensive capacity development programme for the NRIS project. The incumbent will assist in the development of training materials, manuals and procedures for the delivery of training to temporary registration staff. The incumbent will also carry out a capacity needs assessment to identify the gaps and develop an appropriate capacity development plan, strategies and implement programmes to strengthen the NRB capacities to carry out their duties. Working closely with the CTA, NRB and other members of the project team, the Capacity Development Specialist will provide strategic advice in the development of a sustainable institutional capacity of the NRB.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop capacity building plan, strategy and programmes for the NRIS Project, focusing on the following results
- Formulate and advise on the capacity building plans, strategies and programmes for the NRIS Project;
- Conduct a comprehensive baseline capacity needs assessment for the NRB, with corresponding plans to address identified gaps;
- Develop a human resource development framework for NRB posts to evaluate, improve and measure learning outcomes; and
- Provide policy and technical advice on the institutional capacity development required for the NRB to deliver on its mandate.
- Plan, coordinate and direct the training and capacity building programme for the NRIS Project, focusing on the following results
- Develop and plan training and capacity building schedules and activities in close collaboration with other Project staff, the NRB and other stakeholders;
- Design user training material and aids, tutorial and instruction manuals, online help and operating and maintenance instructions;
- Oversee and coordinate the cascade-training programmes of up to 5,000 temporary registration personnel on National Registration Act, Regulations, field procedures, biometric registration kit hardware and software;
- Organize and coordinate induction and skills training meetings and workshops for the temporary registration personnel and NRB staff on the NRIS;
- Oversee and liaise with external training providers on the delivery of specialized training and development programme; and
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the quality, efficiency and effectiveness of the capacity building programmes and take remedial actions.
- Develop the capacities for the NRB to deliver on its mandate, focusing on the following results
- Conduct targeted capacity needs assessments as required for government personnel;
- Develop on-the-job skills training and learning curricula to strengthen the capacities of the NRB;
- Oversee and coordinate functional and competency skills training programmes for the NRB staff to enable them to effectively discharge their duties;
- Oversee the provision of skills training for the national registration production and district field staff on operational functions, such as asset management, inventory, logistics and client service; and
- Prepare and submit regular reports on the implementation of the capacity building programmes on the NRIS.
- Effective knowledge building and sharing on capacity development, focusing on the following results
- Provide regular, briefs and issues papers, progress reports and documents on the capacity development of NRB;
- Contribute to reporting on the progress of the Project as required;
- Share knowledge and best practices on capacity development, innovative strategies and new approaches that enhances the effectiveness of the NRB;
- Document issues and lesson learnt in the execution of the project to inform the future implementation of the registration system;
- Identify and recommend opportunities to promote capacity development as part of the learning and knowledge management.
- Promotes UN’s Values and ethical standards (tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, impartiality)
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and sensitivity and adaptability
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling in the UN’s values and ethical standards (human rights, peace, understanding between people and nations, tolerance, integrity, respect, results orientation, UNDP core ethics, impartiality.
KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT AND LEARNING:
- Promotes knowledge management and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example, excellent knowledge of capacity building theory and the application of related methodologies.
- Good understanding of capacity assessment methodologies, excellent ability to demonstrate national capacity building
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Display understanding of the relevant contemporary ICT tools
- Commitment to continuous learning
DEVELOPMENT AND OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS:
- Ability to engage with high ranking UNDP managers, Government Officials, and international donor community
- Ability to provide policy and technical advisory services
- Ability to identify opportunities, conceptualize and develop project reports
- Ability to effectively support in strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to implement new systems and affect staff behavioural/ attitude change
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP:
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Builds strong relationship with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback, timely responses to queries
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Demonstrates strong administrative skills and result oriented approach to work
- Provides inspiration and leadership to project staff as well as partners
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Master’s Degree in Education, International Development, Capacity Development, Human Resources or similar qualification from a recognized institution is required.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience in international development work is essential, including demonstrated experience of at least 4 years in capacity building and/or institutional development programmes.
- Experience in capacity development, linked to national registration systems (e.g. civil registration, voter registration and census) is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity and institutional analysis and the design and implementation of capacity development plans in a lesser developed context is essential. Past experience within the UN system is highly desirable, prior experience in Africa is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in developing manuals, training materials and procedures is essential, as is experience in designing and delivering cascade training approaches.
- Demonstrated experience in personally developing and delivering trainings as well as metrics by which to measure outcomes is essential.
- Proven experience in providing policy support and technical assistance to national institutions on capacity/institutional development is essential. Prior experience with competency based human resource management systems is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the needs, develop the capacities and to empower the national counterparts is a distinct advantage
- Demonstrated experience in working in devise multicultural teams and environment to achieve demanding operational goals is essential.
- Excellent analytical, communication and reporting skills, both written and oral, is essential
Apply online here
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment. For more information please click here and here.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.